Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Another Wednesday


Another Wednesday afternoon with Dad! Spending time with him is a gift.  And, I'm realizing how time with him really grounds me in the present.  He's quirky and cracks jokes and is eager to help.  I feel light-hearted.  We have a general direction, but not a set schedule, and I think that makes all the difference.  One of our errands today was a little grocery shopping at Safeway.  He's a very agile driver of the chair on wheels.  He lets me lead the parade, and even take his picture. (He came up with this pose all on his own! )  Of course, Sundowner's catches up with him in the late afternoon.  His hallucinations increase and he chats up the invisible people on the couch and points out the Indians in our backyard.  He stays for dinner and we are joined by The Voice (my husband who has such a resonant and deep bass) and our teenage sons.  I ask Dad to bless the food.   He chats with God so conversationally - - - just like he always has throughout my lifetime.  I want my sons to remember grandpa praying - - - a bit of joy in between all the other craziness that makes up his life these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment